Club hockey ranked #1 in the nation and community

Nicole Albrigo, Staff Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Le Moyne’s hockey team is a part of the Upstate New York Club Hockey League (UNYCHL), which includes up to fourteen teams from across New York state. The UNYCHL is divided into two conferences – the east and west. This semester, Le Moyne faced Canton, Hobart, Union, OCC and Oneonta, ending the fall semester season with a 6-0-1 record in strictly league play. Even though they tied in their match against OCC, they are still ranked number one in the East division.

The Le Moyne Dolphins club hockey team is also ranked the National Association of Intercollegiate Hockey (NAIH), where they remain 10-0-1 in league and non-league play. This league caters to five different leagues in the United States. Le Moyne came out on top as number one in the nation, beating out the other 16 schools in the NAIH.

As if these first place standings weren’t impressive enough, the fact that they have been undefeated in the past 25 games is remarkable. This record shows the extreme level of dedication these players put into their sport. They are known as a hard working, committed group of guys who strive for excellence. These players demonstrate a strong work ethics and strong commitment, spending their time watching game film, working out off the ice and even giving back to the community through volunteer work.

“To describe the team probably the best way to put it is that we are a hard working, committed, blue collar group of guys. We do nothing fancy,” said a junior forward, Yaro Nieves. “We just work hard and play a grinder style game of hockey.”

This team is comprised of 25 young men, and led by team captain, senior Brendan Chin. Bob Shattell serves as the team’s head coach, who has been with the team for the past two years and is a Le Moyne graduate himself.

Freshman Ryan Bonk is the team’s goalie. The defenders that help the goalie are: Joe Bridgeman ‘16, Brendan Chin ‘13, Michael Fonak ‘13, Logan Gagnier ‘14, Tim Maalouf ‘16, Eddie Maxam ‘14, Garrett Ordway ‘14, Shane Stockhauser ‘14, Alex Vernetti ‘13, Greg Verwey ‘16, James Wadsworth ‘16, and Nate West ‘13.

The forwards for the Le Moyne Dolphins are: Connor Abess ‘15, Dave Carroll ‘13, Justin Cunningham ‘13, Sean Grogan ‘13, Will Kaljeskie ‘13, Cameron Kyle ‘15, Matt Leone ‘16, Yaro Nieves ‘14, Eric Phillips ‘16, Adam Reask ‘13, Andrew Skerpon ‘13, Bay Stoker ‘14, and Ryan Bonk ‘16.

Their biggest test of the season will be this Saturday at Onondaga Nation Arena against Oswego State at 5 p.m. Come out and support the dolphins!

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!